Do you know that Australia has one of the biggest residential floor spaces in the world? On the average, we have 214 square metres—a far cry from Hong Kong at 45 square metres or even the United Kingdom at 76 square metres!
However, domestically, our floor sizes are shrinking even if there was a time when the amount of home space we have increased by 40%. Simply put, space is becoming a premium, and your challenge is how to maximise it including needing a better storage solution.
Xtreme Shopfitting & Joinery has a solution for all your home storage needs, thanks to our skilled Melbourne joinery team.
Some Awesome Tips!
Over the last few years, we’ve seen some growing trends when it comes to home storage:
- More people are investing on lean shelves rather than bulky furniture.
- Centrepieces such as ottomans, beds, and coffee tables have become multipurpose, allowing you to store valuables through their “secret” compartments.
- These storage solutions are coupled with a more open house plan to give the illusion of more space.
With these in mind, let me suggest some cool clever solutions, some of which you may have never thought of:
- Bathrooms are very challenging for any interior designer since they’re usually the smallest part of a house, yet you still do plenty of activities in there. Our skilled Melbourne joiners, however, can help you reclaim your space by adding storage solutions underneath the vanity sink, putting open shelves near the ceilings, or using the walls to set up shelving. Another option is to build open three-tiered shelving, with the toilet bowl underneath.
- Go for flexible rooms. Here’s a fantastic example of flexible rooms. To give you an idea, there’s an apartment in Madrid that’s only 58 square metres, so it really is a difficult space to design. However, the architects were able to get around it by building two levels and making the space itself more flexible. It can be transformed into a dining, living, and bedroom with movable panels and pull-downs. Do read more about it. If you have ideas like that, call Xtreme. We have a Melbourne joinery team that can surely help you with it.
- One of the most versatile parts of any home is the living room. Our living room can be an entertainment centre, sometimes sleeping quarters for friends and certain family, or a play area for the kids.
We highly recommend that, first, before we get into the actual designs of your joinery and storage items, define the area. Know the types of activities you’ll be using the space for, and from there, our Melbourne joinery team can determine the best storage solutions.
For instance, if the room is going to be both a play area and an entertainment centre, we can mount the huge TV screen on the wall, build enough cabinetry below it to hold the players, DVDs, and etc. Then allot enough space for your children’s playthings. You can also purchase ottomans with extra storage.
If it’s a part bedroom, part living room, as is the case in many studio apartments, consider using a day bed or a pull-out sofa bed so you can have more space for storage.
- For the kitchen, the trend is modular, which means sections such as the prep area can be separated so you are more flexible with regard to the kitchen layout. Open shelving is also becoming a norm, especially when you have some pretty (but not so delicate) items to display. This also gives the idea that there’s more space in the kitchen. Our joinery team can help you create a modular design to meet your needs and specifications.
A large island may be used to divide the living and kitchen areas, serve as your dining place (simply add multifunctional stools), or function as a small but convenient and functional home office.
Great Pointers for You
Here are some pointers from our Melbourne joiners to help you create clever storage solutions for your home:
- Don’t be afraid to be very creative with your designs. In fact, think outside of the box. Allow your personality to appear in your storage solutions.
- Think of the wall, the ceiling, and every nook and cranny – don’t leave any space wasted. With the help of Xtreme Shopfitting & Joinery’s Melbourne team, your storage solutions, in the unlikeliest places, will still compliment and blend in to the home’s overall design.
- Read, read, read. We make sure that we’re always up-to-date with the latest trends and designs in joinery. It’s expected that many clients will ask us for tips or ideas, and we want to make sure that we’re always able to oblige. Nevertheless, we also recommend the same thing to you. Browse interior decorating magazines, read blogs, check out Pinterest (there are so many cool designs you can see there!), or skim through new architecture books.
Don’t let a small space control you. Take the reins and conquer it with smart, functional and beautiful storage solutions. If you’re in Melbourne, contact Xtreme Shopfitting & Joinery for all your joinery needs.