According to IBISWord, the restaurant industry in Australia is a twenty billion dollar industry that has grown 5.6% over the period of 2012 to 2017. Given these figures, it’s easy to see why opening a restaurant could be an enticing business venture. However, Maven Marketing stated that there are more than 7400 restaurants in NSW alone. With so many restaurants to compete against, how do you succeed? I can tell you one thing; a restaurants success is measured on more than just serving good food. You also have to offer a great customer experience and this starts at the planning of your restaurants fit out.
Today, I will share with you some of the best fit out tips that I have gathered from my years of experience fitting out restaurants in Sydney.
- Stay ahead of trends. If you only stick to what is trending now, your design might be dated by the time your restaurant fit out is complete.
- Carefully choose the location of all the elements in your restaurant. Everything, from the sitting area to the bar needs to contribute to the performance and functionality of the space.
- Don’t forget to research your targeted demography and make sure that your restaurants’ fit out is relevant to them and to the locale.
- Plan your space and make it work, paying careful attention to lighting and music to create a relaxed atmosphere.
- Make use of lights to create a warm interior and consider placing lamps on individual tables to create a more intimate atmosphere.
- Ensure that your restaurant fit out makes your customer feel welcome and wanted.
- Create the right ambiance for your restaurant; it shouldn’t be too cold or too loud. Make sure it is just right.
- Always keep your customers at the center of your restaurant fit out. You want to be sure they always have an amazing experience.
- Create eye-catching visuals like a digital sign or a nicely designed menu board.
- Consider personalised promotions or specials targeted at locals, such as for a restaurant fit out in Sydney.
- Don’t leave audiovisuals out of your restaurant fit out either. Just see how popular sport bars are if you need convincing.
- Sound is also important, but you need to figure out what sort of atmosphere you want to create first. The sound you choose for quiet dining will be different from that of upbeat and casual dining.
- Your physical space should be consistent with your brand. For example, there is no point creating a cramped and cluttered space when your brand projects minimalism.
- The colour you choose to feature in your restaurants fit out is very important. At Xtreme shopfitting and Joinery, we have taken the time to research the psychology of colour and I can tell you that it plays a definitive role in the success of your restaurant. The right colour can mean the difference between whether customers come back for more or if they never return.
- It’s okay to include steel and technology to your fit out but keep it to a minimum. It may otherwise turn your customers off their food. Your focus should be on creating ‘comfort’.
- Research the effect of smell and use it to draw in customers. Some smells stimulate relaxation or enhance sexuality. Find a smell that produces a positive response and make it your restaurants signature smell.
- The bathroom is very important and shouldn’t be overlooked. I can’t say this enough. I get so frustrated when I come across restaurant fit outs in Sydney that have not payed adequate attention to the bathroom. It can cost restaurants customers. A nice bathroom layout with doors that lock is important.
- Lastly, be sure to create a visual pathway for your customers. Create focal points and use them to expose certain products like pre-made cakes, savouries or wines to your customers.
A restaurant’s success is measured not only by food, but also by the customer experience it offers, which is why it is necessary to get the interior of the restaurant just right, focusing on creating a relaxing atmosphere where customers can feel welcome and wanted.
If you are thinking of undergoing a restaurant fit out in Sydney any time soon, you might want to give Xtreme Shopfitting and Joinery a call on 07 5564 7525. You are welcome to view our Restaurants, Food Outlets & Cafe Shopfitting services for more information.